This seminar is an introduction to the topic of menstruation. The course is split into three parts. The first session will be taught by an ASI Instructor and will introduce the Islamic legal rulings pertaining to menstruation as taught in the Mukhtasar al-Quduri.
The second part of the course will cover the physiological aspects relating to the menstruation cycle, such as its medical conditions, the distinctions between regular and irregular bleeding, the practice of contraception, termination of pregnancy, and other related issues. This session will be delivered by a medical practitioner.
The third and final session will detail the way in which these matters affect one’s daily life, such as purification, prayers, fasting and Hajj. It covers detailed discussions on prohibited and permissible acts during menstruation.
Overall, this course will provide a general understanding of the fiqh of menstruation, and answer a wide variety of common question related to its medical aspects.
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the practices of abortion and the various contraceptive methods
- Understand the physiology of the menstruation cycle
- Confidently recall the medical conditions pertaining to regular and irregular bleeding/discharge
- Understand the Islamic rulings behind menstruation, abortion and contraception methods
- Understand the fiqh of nifaas